Racecar Engineering seeks a passionate and motivated Deputy editor to help them deliver the leading monthly motorsport technology publication in the world.
Working in collaboration with the Editor, the Deputy Editor will be responsible for devising, writing, sourcing and flat planning content, editing copy, sub-editing and proofreading layouts, overseeing the day-to-day workflow of the magazine and assuming overall responsibility for the magazine and all associated projects in the Editor’s absence.
Racecar Engineering will also have a Deputy editor who will manage the website, update social media, such as Facebook and LinkedIn, with new content, newsletters, and updates. Twitter.
The Deputy editor is also responsible to assist in the development and creation of content for brand extensions such as digimags, booksazines (single issues premium magazines), supplements and apps, as well maintaining the public profile and industry profile through social media.
‘What I enjoyed most about my time at Racecar Engineering was that I could write about any racing technology from any motorsport category,’ says Gemma Hatton, former Deputy Editor of Racecar Engineering. ‘The variety of topics I covered meant that I was always learning and Racecar Engineering’s reputation meant that usually teams and companies were keen to spend the time talking with you.
‘You also get the opportunity to manage the website and social media platforms so I developed a whole host of new skills that have proved invaluable to me in later roles. Finally, the team at Racecar Engineering is relatively small, so you are involved in every project and can really influence the content and direction of the magazine, both in print and online.’
The key responsibilities
- Create editorial content that meets the highest standards in print and digital
- Establish strong working relationships with leaders in the industry and suppliers
- Stay up-to-date with the latest news from international motor racing events
- Attending events at the weekend and traveling internationally is flexible.
- Close collaboration with the advertising department, planning future features and revenue-generating ideas, as well as working closely on commercially sensitive features.
- Liaise with the Editor and Publisher as well as the subscriptions and digital marketing teams, providing new ideas, leads and opportunities for subscription marketing.
- Substitute for the Editor as needed
Print the Content
- Help the Editor with content planning and strategy across all Racecar Engineering websites
- Working with the editor to ensure that editorial costs are not exceeded budget
- Write, edit, and order print editorial content with the Editor
- Help the editor to manage the team of contributors and deliver high-quality material on time
- Help the Editorial Team with image research
- Manage the print production with the editor, ensuring that all team members meet deadlines.
- Check layouts for house style, and eliminate both literal and factual errors.
- Working with the Editor, ensure that editorial content is legal and commercially acceptable and keep up to date knowledge of relevant laws
- Manage websites and social media, creating and repurposing relevant content to maintain and attract a highly engaged audience
- Update your website and social media channels regularly with new content
- Create newsletter content with the team, and approve content for publication.
- Two years’ experience with technical writing is required to demonstrate excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to create and curate engaging content for audiences with high engagement levels, to strict deadlines and specific briefs
- The brand style guide is followed when editing, fact-checking and caption writing.
- Experience using InDesign on a high-level
- Help the art editor in picture research
- Manage the content flow from contributors with good organisational skills and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of digital publishing and emerging media trends
- Experience with analytics tools to improve engagement
- Direct experience in producing digital content for websites, newsletters and social media platforms
- Team player with strong communication skills
You want to apply?
If you want to be the next Deputy Editor of Racecar Engineering magazine, then submit your application by sending your CV, salary expectations and a cover letter to: [email protected] with ‘Deputy Editor, Racecar Engineering’ in the subject line. Good luck!
The post Do you want to be a deputy editor? The post Want to be a Deputy Editor?