Home Mens Interest How to treat bee and wasp bites in dogs

How to treat bee and wasp bites in dogs


Tony Buckwell, a vet, explains what you should know

How can I treat my dog for wasp or bee stings. My dog was stung recently and I wasn’t sure how to treat the sting. (Read How can I prevent my dog from being bitten by horseflies?)

Some dogs are fascinated by bees or wasps, and they run the risk being stung. Multiple stings may be more painful than a single one.

A bee’s venom is acidic while a wasp’s sting is alkaline, so the remedy is to apply an alkaline solution such as bicarbonate of soda to a bee sting and use vinegar on a wasp sting. Unfortunately, you don’t always know what stung your dog so treatment cannot always be that specific; wrap ice in a towel and apply it to the wound to reduce swelling and pain. Try to scrape the stinger off with your fingernail if it is still there. Avoid using tweezers because this can force the stinger to release more venom. (Can dogs get stung by nettles? Yes, it is painful.

After the incident, keep an eye on your dog. Stings may cause a severe reaction. There could also be an allergic reaction. A reaction can be characterized by general weakness, breathing difficulties and swelling at the site. Swelling can block the airway if the dog has been stung inside the mouth, on the tongue, or in the throat. In such cases, it is better to consult a vet than to try to treat it yourself.

Would you also like to read about the dangers of wasp stings to dogs?

Read more…

Previous articleArksen Launches New 85
Next articleThe Ultimate Milkweed Plant Growing Guide