The savory, slightly spicy flavor of cheese straws makes the perfect crust for tarts with green tomatoes.
Save Recipe Print
Serves: 1 tart
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- Fresh dill minced to 2 tablespoons
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, room temperature
- 10 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cubed
- Cold whole milk, 3 to 4 tablespoons
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot Pepper Sauce 1 Tbsp
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large green tomatoes (about 1 1⁄2 pounds), cut into 1⁄8-inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced into 1⁄8-inch-thick rings, rings separated
- Olive Oil 1 Tablespoon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish : sliced fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, minced dill, 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, and paprika until combined. Add the cold butter and Cheddar; pulse until the butter pieces are of almond size. Add 3 tablespoons milk and pulse to combine. If needed, add remaining 1 tablespoon milk, one teaspoon at a tim. If the dough holds together when pressed, it is ready.
- You can also…